Here’s the newest fun Valentine’s Day printable. This one is a Valentine’s Day matching game for toddlers and preschoolers.
It’s a simple game where your little ones will need to match a Valentine’s Day themed tile to the correct one on the board. Your children will need to take their time and have an eye for detail to make sure that the match up the correct pictures.
Other Valentine’s Day Printables you may want to check out:
- Valentine’s Day Number Matching Game
- Valentine’s Day Color Matching Game
- Valentine’s Day I Spy Game
- Valentine’s Day CVC Words Game
What Skills Can Your Little Ones Learn?
For a simple game, there’s actually quite a lot of skills that can be learnt and practiced!
With this Valentine’s Day Matching game your toddlers can develop:
- Matching practice – they will need to look closely at color, shape and pattern – which will help them to develop important early math skills.
- Fine motor skills – as they’ll need to be able to grasp the pieces, and hand-eye coordination and hand control as they ensure they are placing them in the correct spot.
- Counting – They can also practice counting if you encourage them to count all the hearts they can see. If you play the memory game I mention below, there’s even more chances to get some counting practice in!
- Patience and persistence – They’ll have to carry on even if they find it tricky at first.
Who’d have thought such a simple game can help your children develop so many skills – that’s the power of play!
(DISCLAIMER It can also be a wonderful way to keep them busy when you need to get the tea ready or do any of the hundreds of other jobs that just seem to constantly need doing.)
How To Prepare The Game
Firstly, download it by clicking on the download box at the bottom of the page.
Then, print it out on to paper or card.
Next, cut the pieces out carefully.
Now you’re all set and ready to play!
Other Things You Could Do with this Valentine’s Day Matching game
If your little ones have mastered the original Valentine’s Day Matching Game game you can take it to the next level by printing the second page with the tokens again so you’ll now have two sets.
That way, you’ll also be able to play a Valentine’s Day memory game.
I’m sure you know how to play this game (sometimes called pairs), but in case you don’t it’s pretty easy:
- First, shuffle all the cards together
- Then lay them all face down in neat rows
- Starting with the youngest player, take turns turning two cards over
- If they match, you can keep them and have another go. If they don’t your turn is over and play moves to the the next player.
- Play continues in this fashion until the last pair is collected
- Count up all cards (a good chance to get a bit of counting practice in) and whoever has the most wins!
This game is great for developing memory and concentration skills.
Talking about what they can see while you’re playing is always great.
Ask them to think about the colors. What colors can you see? What else in the room is that color?
Ask them about the shapes. What shapes are can you see? What else do you know that is that shape?
Ask them which picture is their favourite and why.
This kind of questioning will keep them engaged and make them think more about what they are doing. It’s also brilliant for language development as you ask them to describe the pictures.
I hope you and your little ones enjoy this Valentine’s Day matching game for toddlers!
Grab the Valentine's Day Matching Game
Click below to download this toddler game:
You can also check out the other printables that are already available here.
If you and your little learners enjoyed this activity (or any of my other printables) then please leave a comment, spread the word and share using the buttons below!
Until next time,
Let’s nurture those neurons!