Here’s the latest in the fun and free series of Valentine’s Day printables for kids! This one is a Valentine’s Day color matching game for toddlers and preschoolers.
It’s a simple game where your little ones will need to match the color side of the heart to the one which has the matching animal or fruit.
Other free Valentine’s Day Printables in the series which you may want to check out:
- Valentine’s Day Number Matching Game
- Valentine’s Day I Spy Game
- Valentine’s Day CVC Words Game
- Valentine’s Day Matching Game For Toddlers
What Skills Can Your Little Ones Learn?
For a simple game, there’s actually quite a lot of skills that can be learnt and practiced!
With this Valentine’s Day color matching game your toddlers can develop:
- Color recognition practice – they will need to look closely at the colors, to ensure that they are matching the correct halves of the hearts.
- Fine motor skills – as they’ll need to be able to grasp the pieces, and hand-eye coordination and hand control as they ensure they are placing them in the correct spot.
- Speech and language development – If you make sure you are getting them to say the colors when they are matching it will help the color names become embedded as they associate the name of the color with what it looks like. You can also ask them questions – what else do you know that is green? Can you see anything else in the room which is pink? Where is it? This kind of questioning will keep them engaged and is great for language development as they describe what they are thinking and can see.
- Patience and persistence – They’ll have to carry on even if they find it tricky at first.
Who’d have thought such a simple game can help your children develop so many skills – that’s the power of play!
(DISCLAIMER It can also be a lovely way to keep them occupied when you need to get the tea ready or do any of the hundreds of other jobs that just seem to constantly need doing.)
You can also check out and download a free toddler flower matching game here!
How To Prepare This Valentine’s Day Color Matching Game
Disclosure: Please bear in mind that as an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Some of the links in this post are affiliate links and if you go through them to make a purchase I will earn a small commission at no additional cost to you – this helps with running costs and makes this site possible.Thank you.
Firstly, download it by clicking on the image below.
There’s two different games – an animal one and a fruit one. You can choose either or put them together for a bigger game!
Then, print it out on to paper or card.
Next, cut the pieces out carefully.
There’s a line down the middle of the hearts to show you where to cut them in half (do this before you laminate so the laminate doesn’t come off).
You can cut them around the border to keep them as cards or cut them around the hearts if you want.
I’d advise laminating them after as it will keep them nice if want to use them again.
Here’s an affordable and reliable laminator if you don’t have one (a laminator is a great investment if you plan on downloading more printables!)
Now you’re all set and ready to play!
I hope you and your little ones enjoy this Valentine’s Day matching game for toddlers!
If you do, feel free to let me know in the comments below. Or if there’s any other printables you’d like me to have a go at creating.
Please share the love by sharing the post using the buttons below! Thank you.
Until next time,
Let’s nurtured those neurons!