The leave are falling so it’s time to pull on those boots and get kicking. And while you’re out and about there’s a good chance you may see some little squirrels gathering some nuts for the winter. The squirrels in this squirrel and acorn counting and ordering game need a little help collecting the right amount of nuts.
Can your children use their early math skills to count and order the acorns, then match them with the correct squirrel?
This math printable is great for some hands-on learning and even better for all those little squirrel fans out there!
And this game is pretty easy to prepare (just print off and cut up) and can help your children develop those important counting, number recognition and ordering skills.
When your children are using this fall activity, you can encourage them by asking some questions, such as “what number of acorns does that little squirrel want?” and “how many acorns do you think you’ll need to find next?”
So why not grab this lovely little number game and help nurture their little mathematical minds?
If you’re looking for other ways to also help improve your child’s counting skills you may also want to check out these cool printable counting activities.
What Skills Can Your Children Learn And Practice?
When using this counting game, your children will have the chance to practice and develop some early math skills such as:
- Number recognition – the ability to recognize a number in its written form
- One to one correspondence – this important skill (trickier than you may think) is the ability to only touch and count an object of a set once
- Number Sequencing – the ability to understand the sequence of numbers, and be able to put them in the correct order
- Number sense – the ability to visualize numbers and understand relationships between numbers
- Fine motor skills – they will have to use a good pincer grip to pick up the cards
- Hand-eye coordination – to ensure they can move and line up the pieces
How To Prepare This Squirrel and Acorn Counting Game
This one’s pretty straight forward!
First you’re going to want to download the game by clicking on the button at the bottom of the page.
Not a member yet – what are you waiting for? Become a member today and get INSTANT access to this and every other one of the awesome activities!
Once you’ve downloaded it, you’ll need to print it off onto paper or card.
You just need to cut out all the squirrels and acorns. Then just lay all the pieces out on the table or floor and see if your little learners can carefully count the acorns and match them with the correct squirrel before putting the all in order!
I often laminate the pieces so that I can pull them out and use them again.
After that you’re all done!
Your children are ready to start developing their number recognition, counting and ordering skills.