Here’s a lucky gold coin subtraction within 5 worksheet for your little learners to practice their early math skills this St Patrick’s Day.
To find the answers, your little learners will need to help the leprechaun take away the numbers from each group of lucky coins.
For young children, understanding subtraction is a stepping stone towards a broader grasp of the world around them. It helps them to quantify change and work out differences.
So why not help them develop those taking away skills with this St Patrick’s Day math worksheet?
And if you think they need a bit more of a challenge, you can find a version to 10 here.
What Skills Can Your Little Ones Learn And Develop?
This lucky coin take away sheet is designed to help your children practice and develop some early skills, such as:
- One to one correspondence – this important skill (trickier than you may think) is the ability to only touch and count an object of a set once.
- Number formation – understanding what the numbers look like and how to form them
- Number recognition – they’ll need to be able to recognize the numbers to match them up correctly
- Subtracting – taking one amount from another to work out the difference
- Number sense – the ability to visualize numbers and understand relationships between numbers
- Hand-eye coordination – to be able to understand what they are seeing and get their hands to go where they want them to go
- Hand and finger strength – the ability to be able to apply enough pressure to make marks on the page and hold the pencil firmly
- Hand dominance – developing and strengthening the skill of one of their hands
- Pencil control – holding the pencil correctly to allow for a fluid range of movement
Some of these are vital fine motor skills that will enable them to become great writers in the future!
How To Prepare This St Patrick’s Day Subtraction Within 5 Worksheet
First you’re going to want to download the math worksheet by clicking on the download box at the bottom of the page.
Then print it off!
Not a member yet – what are you waiting for? Become a member today and get INSTANT access to all the awesome activities!
That’s pretty much it for this one – just print them off, grab some pencils, pens or crayons and they’re good to go! Their goal is to carefully take away the number from the group of coins, then write the correct amounts in the boxes.
A great way to do this is to cross out the number of lucky coins they are subtracting from each group, and whatever they are left with (uncrossed) is the answer!
Gently encourage them if they find it a little tricky at first – learning all these new skills takes time!