Fine motor skills are an important part of early childhood development and play a crucial role in a child’s ability to perform everyday tasks such as writing, drawing, and using utensils. Developing these skills can be fun and engaging for young children, especially when they have playful and engaging activities like these fine motor flowers!
Your little learners will need to match the sequence of colors on the pattern card by pegging the colors onto the flowers in the correct order.
This activity not only provides a fun and playful way for children to practice their fine motor skills, but also helps develop their cognitive and problem-solving abilities.
There’s 22 different color cards and they can be used both ways up so there’s 44 different combinations for them to copy!
What Skills Can Your Little Ones Learn?
There’s quite a lot of skills that can be learnt and practiced!
With this fine motor color matching game your little ones can develop:
- Color recognition practice – they will need to look closely at the color cards, to ensure that they are pegging on the right colors.
- Fine motor skills and hand-eye coordination and hand control as they peg the colors onto the flowers.
- Hand and finger strength – as they squeeze the clothespins
- Speech and language development – If you make sure you are getting them to say the colors when they are matching, it will help the color names become embedded as they associate the name of the color with what it looks like. You can also ask them questions – what else do you know that is green? Can you see anything else in the room which is pink? Where is it? This kind of questioning will keep them engaged and is great for language development as they describe what they are thinking and can see.
- Problem solving – as they make sure they are pegging on the clothepins in the correct order
- Patience and persistence – They’ll have to carry on even if they find it tricky at first.
Who’d have thought such a simple game can help your children develop so many skills – that’s the power of play!
How To Prepare The Fine Motor Flowers
What you’ll need:
- The fine motor flower game (click on the download box at the bottom of the page’)
- 6 clothespins
- Some decent glue
Not yet a member yet – what are you waiting for? Sign up today to get INSTANT access to the entire printable library!
First you’re going to want to download the color matching game by clicking on the download box at the bottom of the page.
Then, print it out on to paper or card.
I’d advise laminating them after as it will keep them nice if want to use them again.
There’s 6 different colored circles which you’ll need to stick onto the clothespins. These will act as the colorful flower centers.
Then you’ll need to cut out the 22 pattern cards and the flower base card.
Now you’re all set and ready to play!
How to use This Fine Motor Color Matching Game:
After everything is cut out and prepared, you’ll want to place the clothespins in easy reach of the flower base card, see below:
Then your little learners will need to take a color pattern card showing 3 different colors and see if they can copy the order with the clothespins like this:
Some Tips to get Some Extra Language Development In
I mentioned above that these kinds of games can be great for language development as well.
Talking about what they can see while they’re playing is always great.
Ask them to think about the colors. What colors can you see? What else in the room is that color? Do you know any animals that have that color on them somewhere?
Ask them about the shapes. What shapes are the flowers made of? What else do you know that is that shape?
Talking about shapes can be great to enhance their early math skills as well!
This kind of questioning will keep them engaged and make them think more about what they are doing.
I hope they enjoy!