This phonics activity is designed to help your child develop their early reading skills by focusing on the sounds at the beginning of words. Phonics is an important foundation for reading and writing, and mastering beginning sounds is a key step in this process. With these EUR beginning sound puzzles, your little learners will have the opportunity to practice identifying and matching beginning sounds with their corresponding letters.
These phonics puzzles are great for helping your little ones to recognize what the different letters look like and start listening for the beginning sounds in words as well as get in some fine motor and problem solving!
This pack contains a beginning sound puzzle for the letters E, U and R. I’ve made them both lower case as these are the main letters they will come across when learning to read.
You can check out some other phonics activities here!
What Skills Can Your Little Ones Learn And Develop?
These beginning sound puzzles are designed to help your children practice and develop their early reading skills, such as:
- Segmenting – this is the ability to break the word into its different sounds
- Letter recognition – knowing what the written form (letters) of the sounds look like
And they’ll also be able to develop other skills such as:
- Fine motor skills – as they pick up and move the pieces
- Hand-eye coordination – to ensure they can move and line up the pieces
- Problem solving – they’ll have to work out how to put the puzzle together correctly using their problem solving skills. Will they work methodically, one piece at a time until they’re happy it looks right? Will they use trial and error to see what works?
- Shape And Geometry – being able to rotate the pieces and understanding how the different parts of the puzzle fit together
- Patience – they may have to try lots of configurations before they complete the puzzles
How To Prepare These Beginning Sounds Puzzles
First you need to download the phonics puzzles by clicking on the download box at the bottom of the page.
Not a member yet – what are you waiting for? Become a member today and get INSTANT access to our entire library of awesome activities.
After that, you’ll need to carefully cut them out (or roughly if you’re that kind of person…).
There’s 3 puzzles in this pack and 4 pieces for each puzzle.
Then I’d advise laminating them to keep them nice so you can reuse them.
That’s it, just mix them all up and see if your little ones can use their phonics skills to put them back together.