If you’re after a space themed printable for your toddlers and preschoolers, here’s an out of this world alien color matching game to help develop those color recognition skills and learn the color names.
We’re deep in space and there’s loads of lost aliens – and guess what – they need a little help finding the correct spaceships to help them get back home.
Can your little learners help them by using their awesome color recognition skills?
And if you’re little ones just can’t get enough space themed learning, you may also want to check out these activities:
- Build an astronaut craft
- Build a rocket craft
- Solar system number ordering puzzle
- Planet coloring booklet
- Space line tracing sheets
What Skills Can Your Little Ones Learn?
For a simple game, there’s actually quite a lot of skills that can be learnt and practiced!
With this alien color matching game your little ones can develop:
- Color recognition practice – they will need to look closely at the colors, to ensure that they are pairing the aliens with the correct spaceships.
- Fine motor skills – as they’ll need to be able to pick up the aliens, and hand-eye coordination and hand control as they ensure they are placing them in the right spaceship.
- Speech and language development – If you make sure you are getting them to say the colors when they are matching, it will help the color names become embedded as they associate the name of the color with what it looks like. You can also ask them questions – what else do you know that is green? Can you see anything else in the room which is pink? Where is it? This kind of questioning will keep them engaged and is great for language development as they describe what they are thinking and can see.
- Patience and persistence – They’ll have to carry on even if they find it tricky at first.
Who’d have thought such a simple game can help your children develop so many skills – that’s the power of play!
How To Prepare This Alien Color Matching Game
First you’re going to want to download the color matching game by clicking on the download box at the bottom of the page.
Not yet a member yet – what are you waiting for? Sign up today to get INSTANT access to the entire printable library!
Then, print it out on to paper or card.
Next, cut the pieces out and you’re pretty much good to go.
There’s 8 different aliens and 8 matching spaceships.
I’d advise laminating them after as it will keep them nice if want to use them again.
Now you’re all set and ready to play!
Some Tips to get Some Extra Language Development In
I mentioned above that these kinds of games can be great for language development as well as color recognition.
Talking about what they can see while they’re playing is always great.
Ask them to think about the colors. What colors can you see? What else in the room is that color? Do you know any animals that have that color on them somewhere?
Ask them about the shapes. What shapes are the spaceships made of? What else do you know that is that shape?
Talking about shapes can be great to enhance their early math skills as well!
This kind of questioning will keep them engaged and make them think more about what they are doing. It’s also awesome for language development as you ask them to describe the aliens and their spacecraft.