Here’s another printable craft for your little learners, that’s perfect for nursery rhyme lovers! Some 5 little speckled frogs popsicle puppets.
If you haven’t heard it before, the nursery rhyme is a super way to improve counting and number sense.
And this simple paper craft is a great way to make the whole experience more hands-on and engaging!
These kinds of crafts can also be a lovely way to strengthen your child’s cutting and sticking skills, and an awesome chance to practice some pencil control and fine motor skills as well!
Like most of the crafts here at Nurtured Neurons, there’s a pre-colored template for quick puppet making, or a plain one if your want to get a bit more creative!
And a super thing is, not only are they get fun to make and your children can practice lots of skills when doing so, but then you have a toy they can play with at the end – and play is just such a great way for children to learn!
What Skills Can Your Children Learn And Practice?
When making these little speckled frog puppets, your children will have the chance to practice and develop some skills such as:
- Cutting Skills – if you feel they’re ready, you can let them have a go at cutting out the pieces all by themselves – they’ll need to be careful and have good scissor control if they want to cut out the pieces neatly
- Fine Motor Skills – when they’re sticking and picking up and moving the parts and placing them where they need to go
- Pencil Control – if you print off the black and white version they can practice their pencil control and develop hand strength through coloring.
- Counting skills – both forwards and backwards to five
- Number sense – as they get a feel for what the different amounts of frogs look like
This simple craft will also give them a chance to practice their concentration and perseverance skills as they may find it tricky to put the puppets together at first.
And when they’re done, they’ll also be able to use their imagination, story telling and social / communication skills when singing along to the rhyme and making up stories!
How To Prepare These 5 Little Speckled Frogs Popsicle Puppets
First you’re going to want to download the puppet templates by clicking on the download button at the bottom of the page – I’ve made a color and a black and white version.
And there’s also a background so they can jump into that cool, cool pool!
Not a member yet – what are you waiting for? Become a member today and get INSTANT access to all the awesome activities!
Other Materials You’ll Need:
- Safety scissors
- Card stock or craft paper
- Some good glue
- Some coloring pencils or pens / other artsy materials for decorating
- Popsicle sticks
Once you’ve downloaded the templates, you’ll need to print them off onto paper or card.
Then, you can cut them out. Or if you’d like your children to get some cutting practice, you can let them have a go.
When you’re done, you may want to laminate them to keep them in a good condition, before sticking them to some popsicle sticks.
The finished ones should look something like this:
After that you’re all done!
Now it’s time to get singing and counting!
If your little ones enjoyed making these puppets and are after more – you can check out other printable puppet templates here.
Please let me know in the comments how they got on!